Tues/Thurs after 2PM
Sunday after 10AM
Saturday after 10AM
Up to 30 minutes away for a flat fee
NCU-Northcentral University-Graduate School of Psychology
Ph.D. – Clinical Psychology; Healthcare Psychology & Behavioral-Medicine
Dissertation: The Relationship Among Social Support, Self-Efficacy
and Medication Adherence in Adults with Hypertension
Magnum Cum Laude: 3.87/4.0 GPA
New York University-Stern School of Business
MBA – International Marketing & Global Economics
Studied/Interned under Alan Greenspan, former Chairman of Federal Reserve Bank, PIMCO
Studied with W. Edwards Deming, responsible for rebuilding Japanese industries post WWII.
M.Ed. – Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Industrial Psychology and Human Relations Management/Labor Relations and Counseling
B.S. – Psychology
Studied with Evelyn & Robert Perloff, former-presidents of American Psychological Association
Magnum Cum Laude: 4.9/5.0 GPA
ExperienceMy doctorate was awarded in Clinical Psychology with specialization in Healtcare Psychology and Behavioral Medicine. In addition, I hold a MBA from the NYU-Stern School of Business in International Marketing & Economics and a M.Ed. in Industrial Organizational Psychology/Counseling. I currently tutor with Wyzant and Varsity Tutor organizations in New York/New Jersey.
In addition, I am an Adjunct Professor of Psychology, Sociology, Healthcare Psychology at St. John’s University, College of Mount Saint Vincent/Nursing School, and teach advanced Marketing/Advertising at FITNYC/SUNY. I have with over twelve years of teaching a wide-range of psychology, social sciences, marketing/advertising and business courses.
As you can see from my CV, previous adjunct teaching experiences included Montclair State University, SUNY/Old Westbury, and College of New Rochelle (graduate school of guidance counseling).
My career includes senior management positions in consumer healthcare firms, technology companies and advertising agencies. I was the SVP Marketing for a healthcare social media technology firm that specialized in medical SMS/text. In addition, I invented a product for the pharmaceutical industry that holds the only U.S. Patent for medication adherence to improve healthcare outcomes for patients (# 7,677,601) as an entrepreneur.
My mobile phone is 917.499.0292 (mobile) and e-mail address at drjohnggarett@Gmail.com.
• Tramontano, G. & Garett, J.G. (2016). Metabolic Enhancement for Preventing
Neurodegeneration. Paper presented at the 2016 Society for Neuroscience Annual
Meeting. (MEND) is being explored as a possible treatment intervention for ADHD.
Comprehensive treatment approach simultaneously targets multiple disease pathways,
San Diego, CA. (symposium)
• What is the relationship of social aggression among children and young adults to cardiovascular disease (CVD)? In progress.
• What are effects of social support based Social Cognitive Theory on CVD among Italian-Americans versus Italian nationals?
• What is the relationship of social cognitive variables on medication adherence of hypertension among African-American and Hispanics populations in the US?
• Community Services: Preparing launch of private & grant-funded community services non-profit SOS (Socks One Sandwich) for New York City homeless in west Chelsea.
COLLEGE TEACHING EXPERIENCE - Adjunct Professor
• St. John’s University: Person-Centered Psychology, US Healthcare Administration, Sociology, Healthcare Psychology, Industrial/Organization Psychology, Biophysiology Psychology, Positive Psychology, Psychology of Sensation & Perception, Business Strategy, Global Marketing, Market Research; under Raymond DiGiuseppe, Ph.D. Author and former Chair, Department of Psychology, Dr. William Chaplin, Ph.D., Chair, Department of Psychology, Dr. Joan Tropnas, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., Chair, School of Professional Studies, and John Angelidis, Ph.D., Chair, Peter Tobin Business School of SJU.
• Montclair State University: Consumer Behavior, General Psychology, Adolescent Psychology, Modern Lifespan Adjustment, Psychology of Human Aggression, Social Psychology, Child Development, Children’s Rights, and Human Sexuality (Online and classroom); under Mark J. Friedman, PhD. and Dr. Peter Vietze, Ph.D. former Chair, Psychology. Taught On-line/remote, classroom and hybrid courses.
• College of Mount Saint Vincent: Introductory Psychology, Forensic Psychology and Industrial Organizational Psychology; under Dr. Daniel Hrubes, Chairperson of Psychology; Introductory Marketing, and Healthcare Business Marketing-CMSV Graduate School.
• College of New Rochelle: Introductory Psychology; Psychology & Counseling-Graduate School; under Dr. Ann Rodier, Chair, Graduate School of Counseling at CNR.
• Fashion Institute of Technology-FIT/SUNY: Introductory Marketing Principles & Advertising; under Dr. Albert Romano, Chairperson, Advertising and Marketing Communications.
• SUNY/College at Old Westbury: Health Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Psychopharmacology/Mood, Mentation & Medicine, Community Psychology, Consumer Behavior, Behavioral Organization & Management; under Dr. William Knack, Ph.D. Chair, B. Runi Mukherji, Ph.D. former Chair Psychology and Dr. Jason Zhu, Dean,
• Berkeley College: Abnormal Psychology, General Psychology, Industrial Organizational Psychology-Human Resource Management, Consumer Behavior, Macro/Microeconomics, Global Economics and Public Policies & Economic Organization, Essentials of Market Research; under Dr. Ralph Peters, Co-Chair, Humanities and Social Sciences and Dr. Donald Kiefer, Dean, School of Liberal Arts and David Glazer, Chair, Marketing Department.
• LIU/CW Post: Consumer Behavior, Advertising, Global Marketing, and General Marketing; under T. Steven Chang, Chair, Marketing and International Business.
• Mentor: 2016-2017-Academic advisor to psychology majors and tutor at College of Mount Saint Vincent and FITNYC/SUNY.
• KOL: 2010, 2015-2017-Organizer of guest lecture of Don Simons, VP Strategic Marketing
Northwell/LIJ Hospital System, Ms. Ellen Sommer-Miller, VP Memorial Sloan Kettering Medical Center and Ms. Terry Cavanaugh, VP Marketing St. Luke/Mt. Sinai Hospital.
• Tutoring: Organized tutoring sessions in Psychology, English, research, writing, public speaking and marketing at Fordham University, NYU-Stern School of Business, Harvard Business School, College of Mount Saint Vincent, Clemson University, Montclair State University, Mercy College, Farmingdale State University, and St. John’s University.
Garett, J.G. (2016) The Relationship Among Social Support, Self-Efficacy and Medication Adherence in Adults with Hypertension. Prescott Valley, AZ: Northcentral University.
PROFESSIONAL AWARDS, PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
Served as Graduate intern under Alan Greenspan, Dean of Economics at NYU-Stern School of Business, PIMCO and Ashok Kapoor, Ph.D., International Marketing Professor.
“Metabolic Enhancement for Preventing Neurodegeneration (MEND) of cognitive impairment in patients with Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and other neurodegenerative diseases”; published, 2016.
Awarded US Patent (No. 7,677,601) for a unique marketing invention utilizing a patient starter kit which combined medication samples, Co-Pay cards and consumer products for lifestyle modifications.
Guest speaker and lecturer for Rx HealthAdvantage to promote behavioral healthcare and marketing for improved health outcomes at pharmaceutical companies and agencies: Novartis, Merck, Pfizer, Ortho-McNeil, Novo Nordisk, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Otsuka, and Encima Group.
Appeared in New York Times and guest speaker on MSNBC-Bulls Eye & WOR radio advancing healthcare behavioral life style changes for better health outcomes.
Guest speaker and lecturer for “Kids for Nutrition” Seminar in Washington, DC sponsored by US Department of Health and Human Services.
COMMUNITY SERVICE (on-going weekends)
• SOS - “Socks-One-Sandwich” food program-Homeless Shelter: food, clothing and support program in west Chelsea New York.
Expert defense witness in multiple Department of Labor benefits claim cases and US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) litigation cases.
Trained: Cognitive and Neuropsychometric Psychological testing in patients with Alzheimer’s disease, head trauma, ADHD, AD, depression. Patients included children, adolescents, young adults and elderly patients.
Pursuing continuation of “Metabolic Enhancement for Preventing Neurodegeneration (MEND) of cognitive impairment in patients with Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and other neurodegenerative diseases”. Publish 2017.
Pursuing research grants: American Psychological Association, Alzheimer’s Disease Outcomes Research Resource (U2C), Charles Koch Foundation, Spencer Foundation, PIVOT, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP), and Grants.gov. In addition, pursuing grants from Women’s Venture Fund, Alec Baldwin Foundation, BMS Foundation, and Brooklyn Community Foundation.
Recognized in peer evaluations at St John’s University, Montclair State University, Berkeley College and FIT/NYC for excellence in teaching.
Northcentral University – Dean’s List for Academic Excellence; maintained 3.9/4.0 GPA
Springfield College - Dean’s List for Academic Excellence in Industrial/Organization Psychology; maintained 4.0/4.0 GPA
New York University/Stern School of Business - Received recognition for Thesis topic: “OPEC, dynamic role in global economy and stability in Third World countries”; maintained a 3.9/4.0 GPA
Northcentral University - Receive recognition for contributions to the Professional Disabilities Services Department for Graduate Students in Applied Psychology.
Scholarships: Monsanto College Scholarship, YMCA/Springfield Graduate School scholarship and Mobil Oil Corporate Graduate School grant.
Successfully completed Educational Enhancement of Pedagogical training courses:
• Preparing for the 1st Day of Class
• Nondiscrimination and anti-harassment courses
• Course Assessment
• Grading and Rubrics creation
• Reporting and Responding to Sexual Assault on Campus (Title IX)
• Encouraging higher level writing skills with effective feedback
• Managing a class and meeting with students
• Exam Development
Psychologist-Consultant – Clinical Psychology & Neuropsychometrist 2016 - 2017
NeuroCognitive Institute (NCI), Mt. Arlington & Bedminster, NJ
Conducted primary investigative research with clinically diagnosed patients with AD performing the MEND protocol (Metabolic Enhancement for Preventing NeuroDegeneration) with six variables for the treatment(s) of cognitive impairment or dementia due to Alzheimer’s (AD) for improved cognition during a 6-month period. Publish date is fall, 2016.
Administered, scored and assessed multiple neuropsychometric tests among children, adolescents, adults and older adults. Battery of patient tests included measures of Executive Functions, iCode, IQ, WMS-III, WASI-II/III, RBANS, Woodcock-Johnson-III, TOVA, TOMAL-2, DKEFS, BASC2, PAR and Rey CFT. Conditions ranged from ADHD, AD, Alzheimer’s, OCD, anxiety, head trauma, depression, bipolar disorder, memory loss, migraines and overall cognitive or social impairments.
Vice President – Strategic Healthcare Marketing/SMS Mobile ________ 2012 - 2016
ShopText/RxAdvantage, Inc. (div. of EPC) New York, NY
Extended use of US Patent (US No. 7,677,601) for patient sampling kits (PSK) with SMS/text automation and integrated behavioral variables for consumer and pharmaceutical healthcare programs.
Senior Vice President Healthcare Marketing 2010 - 2012
PSKW-Healthcare, LLC Bedminster, NJ
Created multiple adherence programs with US Patent for unique PSK. Successfully developed medication adherence program for Novartis Oncology (Afinator). Additional clients that successfully used PSK were BMS, Novo Nordisk, Daiichi-Sankyo, Merck, Ortho-McNeil, Pfizer and Abbott Labs.
Senior Vice President of Marketing & Sales – RxHealthAdavntage Division 2006 - 2010
Precision Dialogue, New York, NY & Chicago, IL
Developed adherence programs with patient starter kit after securing US Patent. (US No. 7,677,601)
The kit is a unique invention designed to improve acquisition and medication adherence in the pharma industry. The patent for kits encouraged longer therapy regime through added-value healthy lifestyles.
Executive Vice President of Marketing - RxHealthAdvantage 2000 - 2006
PPS Medical Marketing Group, Inc., Pine Brook, NJ
Developed the DTC patient sampling system for pharmaceutical and consumer companies. New division generated $9.5 million revenue in 24 months with sponsors: Novartis, Merck, Ortho-McNeil, and BMS.
President, Orion Marketing Alliance /Ted Bates HealthWorld (Cordiant, LLC) 1995 - 2000
Orion Marketing Alliance, Inc. a Division of Ted Bates Advertising, New York, NY
Successfully started a new healthcare division focusing on improve medication adherence through
use of kits and partnerships between pharmaceutical and consumer companies for J&J, Pfizer, Merck,
and Daiichi-Sankyo, BMS and Novo Nordisk. Successfully delivered over $7.5 million in revenue.
Prior to 1995, worked at several companies in healthcare marketing, brand management, business development, and new products development
Pepsi Cola Bristol-Myers Squibb
Tambrands (Tampax/P&G) Ogilvy & Mather
INDUSTRY AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• US Patent (No. 7,677,601); Invented a new starter kit for patient medication adherence.
• Won David Ogilvy Award for “Most Effective Advertising” for Unilever/CPI.
• Won agency POPAI & PMA “Best Consumer Program” for M&M/Mars
• Won ECHO Award for “Earth Train” Environmental Young Adult (cause-related event).
• Won CMA Direct Marketing-ECHO award for PSK at Novo Nordisk
• Merck/Schering-Plough: “Best Promotion of the Year” for Vytorin & Zetia DTC-PSK
• Industry KOL, appeared on MSNBC-Bulls Eye & WOR radio
• Lecturer for “Kids for Nutrition” Seminar, Washington, DC
AFFILIATIONS & ACTIVITIES
• American Psychological Association (APA)
• American College of Cardiology (ACC)
• Purdue Alumni Association, Varsity Soccer, Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity/Officer
• Editor-in-Chief of Purdue Newspaper
• SUNY Teacher’s Union-UUP
• New Jersey Teacher’s Union
• United College Employees of FIT
MEASUREMENTS & SOFTWARE EXPERIENCE
• SPSS software and analysis
• Neuropsychometrics: Administered, scored and assessed multiple neuropsychometric tests
with children, adolescents, adults and older adults. Battery of patient tests included
measurements of Executive Functions, iCode, IQ, WMS-III, WASI-II/III, RBANS, Woodcock-Johnson-III, TOVA, TOMAL-2, DKEFS, BASC2, PAR and Rey CFT. Conditions ranged from ADHD, AD, Alzheimer’s, OCD, anxiety, head trauma, depression, bipolar disorder, memory loss, migraines and cognitive or social impairments.
• Research: Consumer and Patient Research methods and Design
• Software: Power Point, Excel, Word, Adobe; Microsoft and Apple
• Remote systems: Blackboard eLearning, D2L remote learning, Moodle, Canvas, and Angel
• Screen share: Screenhero, Skype, WebEx and GoToMeeting
• Browsers: Safari, FireFox, Google Chrome, and Google Drop Box
• Legal: expert witness for civil, US patent and healthcare testimony & depositions
• Public Speaking: Key Opinion Leader; appeared in New York Times;
• MSNBC-Bulls Eye & WOR radio (spokesperson for healthcare psychology)
• US Army – USAR; Honorable Discharge, Quarter Master (MOS)
HobbiesSports: baseball, snow skiing, jogging, golf, bike-racing, sports cars, squash and Bocce.
Music: Power Funk rock, Jazz, Blues, and R&B
Volunteer work with homeless of NYC, "SOS" charity in Chelsea, NY
English, Writing, Vocabulary, Social Studies, Reading, Public Speaking, Management, IB Business & Management SL, IB Business & Management HL, IB Psychology HL, IB Psychology SL, Graduate Test Prep, Executive Functioning, Psychology, Ethics, Elementary Math, Essay Editing, Clinical Psychiatry, Business, Arithmetic, ADD, AP Psychology, ADHD, Sociology, Social Sciences, Marketing
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.